Municipal Class EA – Important Update
Major Amendment Approved
On October 7, 2015, Minister Murray approved the ‘cycling’ amendment as attached. Although known as the ‘cycling’ amendment, the amendment actually includes;
- An amendment to the Municipal Roads Projects table in Appendix 1 to include active transportation projects
- An amendment to section A.1.5.2 Municipal Class EA Amending Procedure
- An amendment to section A.2.8 Provision for Changing Project Status (Part II Order)
- The addition of section A.2.10.6 The Clean Water Act to refer to Protection of Source Water for Municipal Water Systems
- An amendment to Appendix 2 – Typical Mitigation Measures for Potential Environmental Effects to address climate change
- An amendment to Appendix 6 – Sample Notices to update the notices
- Consequential Amendments
MEA is pleased that active transportation projects can now move forward and encourages the use of the amended Municipal Road Project table in Appendix 1.
However, unfortunately MOECC made some unilateral changes to the amendment submitted by MEA just before the Minister’s approval that MEA cannot support Implications of the last minute changes to this amendment are still being investigated and further explanation and training will be forthcoming.
MCEA Position Paper – Opportunity for Input
Earlier this year, Glen Murray, Minister of the Environment, said the he would be turning his attention to the administration of Environmental Assessment in Ontario and reviewing the “EA Permitting Process”, with an interest in looking for efficiencies. The Municipal Class EA is a large part of the current EA system in Ontario, and the Municipal Engineers Association, as custodian of the MCEA document, has a keen interest in the Ministry’s upcoming review. To prepare for this, MEA has prepared the the attached draft paper which outlines MEA’s proposed position and describes improvements which MEA recommends to the MCEA and the associated process. Serious problems persist with the Part II Order Request process and this paper explains MEA’s recommendation to address these problems.
Please review the paper and provide your input/comments to Alan Korell at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 27, 2015.
New Clarification listed for information
Road Diet Clarification
Note New address for sending Part II orders
The Ministry/Minister of Environment and Climate Change
77 Wellesley St West, 11th Floor
Toronto, ON, M7A 2T5
Fax 416 314 8452